Monday, August 24, 2009

Papers galore....

Everyday I am flooded with kids school papers. I have gone back and forth with what I should do with them. Am I a bad mom if my way of filing them is the garbage? Are my kids going to be mad when they get older and they have nothing to show for their grade school years? In the past I have put them into a desk drawer and now that the desk drawer is over flowing from last year, I have nowhere else to put the cute stuff. I was thinking of getting each kid a tote for their closet and they will be in charge of taking the papers to their tote if they want to keep them. Any ideas from you mothers out there with school kids, do you keep everything they bring home? What do you do with their stuff?

8 comments:

Desiree said...

My mom kept a big box of my papers, pictures, poems, blah blah. She gave it to me in the last year when she moved and told me to be responsible for it. Guess what I did with it. I threw it away. I think a trash can that doubles as a filing cabinet would be just fine. :)

The Nelson Family said...

I think the tote idea is a good one. It's gonna fill up fast though. I kept everything Carter brought home from preschool cause I was so proud at how well he could do things, but now I don't care so much. If it's really cute I'll keep it, other wise I have the same filing system...the trash.

The Martin Family said...

Carol would disagree with me, but I say the circular filing cabinet that your using is working well...
-greg

N Godown said...

OK. So my mom saved everything and then during the year sometime she would have us go through and pick out a certain amount (whatever you choose) usually whatever fit in a large manilla folder. We each had a big plastic box in storage that my mom put the manilla folder in at the end of each school year. When I was ready to start scrapbooking in Jr. High, I got into that box and found 8-9 folders labeled each school year. It was VERY easy to go through and even throw away more stuff that I didn't want to showcase in my scrapbook. At one point we even went through all our toys and picked out "favorites" that we were too old to play with that we wanted to save. So I now have a few favorite dolls from growing up STILL in that box!
Good LUCK!

Misty said...

My friend made a bin for each kid with 12 hanging files - 1 for each grade. They are so cute and such a great idea. It's on my to do list :)

http://somewhatsimple.blogspot.com/2009/07/school-days-file-box.html

The Martin Family said...

Yes, I do disagree with Greg. My mom kept a lot of my papers from school and I got them when I moved out. I still have them and look at them and remember doing it. I think those are things your kids would appreciate later on. Besides, Greg's mom kept some of his stuff about 3 huge binders full that is taking up space in my closetd!!!! But he still looks through it.

However, if you just let them put stuff in their own totes, you are eventually going to have to go through that as well because they are going to put everything in it.

I would just look through it quickly and then if it is something they worked a long time on or seem particulary attached to, then keep it and toss the rest. My mom just kept a folder on all of us. I have heard of some people getting pizza boxes and having the kids decorate them and they they put thier papers in there. They are flat and can fit under beds.

Sorry it's so long and I hope it helps!

Jen B said...

I like the tote idea... i gave Kimber a large 3 ring binder, she comes home every day - hole punches her papers and puts them in the binder! (I have to put the binder away of'course) Kaelee isn't so organized, but when given a dead line she can throw out quite a bit and still keep the pieces that she is fond of. I have a few boxes of paperwork for her to go through since preschool! awh.

Laura said...

I'm a bad mom and just chuck my kids stuff. Hey I read your post about facebook and it cracked me up because I did the same thing. I played farkle for about 2 weeks straight and then realized that I wasn't getting anything out of it. Goodbye facebook! Thanks for your encouraging words too. Also I think doing a 10K makes you a rock star!!!